This article provides an overview of the ovarian stimulation protocols used in assisted reproductive techniques (ART). Individual approach to ovarian stimulation involves routine measurements of ovarian reserve (OR) prior to in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycle. It helps to identify patients at risk of poor and hyper-response to gonadotrophins. The latter is associated with potentially serious complication of ovarian stimulation, ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome (OHSS). Over the years, different methods have been implemented to reduce the risk of developing ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome in predicted hyper-responders. Modified protocols of controlled ovarian stimulation (COS) allow safe and timely completion of fertility preservation treatment in patient newly diagnosed with cancer prior to start of gonadotoxic therapy.
Abbreviations:COS (controlled ovarian stimulation), IVF (in vitro fertilization), OHSS (ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), ORT (ovarian reserve tests)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- E-Freeze - a randomised controlled trial evaluating the clinical and cost effectiveness of a policy of freezing embryos followed by thawed frozen embryo transfer compared with a policy of fresh embryo transfer, in women undergoing in vitro fertilisation: a statistical analysis plan.Trials. 2020; 21 (PMID: 32605633; PMCID: PMC7329511): 596https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-020-04441-9
- AMH and AFC as predictors of excessive response in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation: a meta-analysis.Hum Reprod Update. 2011; 17 (Epub 2010 Jul 28. PMID: 20667894): 46-54https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmq034
- ESHRE working group on Poor Ovarian Response Definition. ESHRE consensus on the definition of 'poor response' to ovarian stimulation for in vitro fertilization: the Bologna criteria.Hum Reprod. 2011; 26 (Epub 2011 Apr 19. PMID: 21505041): 1616-1624https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/der092
- Controlled ovarian stimulation protocols for assisted reproduction: a network meta-analysis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017; (Art. No.: CD012586)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD012586
- ESHRE guideline: ovarian stimulation for IVF/ICSI†.Hum Reprod Open. 2020; 2020 (Erratum in: Hum Reprod Open. 2020 Dec 29;2020(4):hoaa067. PMID: 32395637; PMCID: PMC7203749): hoaa009https://doi.org/10.1093/hropen/hoaa009
Published online: February 16, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Published by Elsevier Ltd.