Women with inherited bleeding disorders in pregnancy are a group of pregnant women with varied and often complex healthcare needs. The antenatal, intrapartum and postnatal care of these women and their babies may require specialist planning and support. This article outlines the key principles of care and provides a summary of the existing Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists’ guidelines on the management of inherited bleeding disorders in addition to practical advice from clinical experience of looking after these women and their pregnancies.
Abbreviations:von Willebrands Disease (vWD), von Willebrands Factor (vWF), tranexamic acid (TXA), intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductive Medicine
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intensive menstrual bleeding successfully treated with recombinant FVIIa in Glanzmann's thrombasthenia.Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2011; 17: 320-322
- The obstetric experience of women with factor XI deficiency.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2009; 88: 1095-1100
- Glanzmann's thrombesthenia: the spectrum of clinical disease.Blood. 1990; 75: 1383-1395
- Kadir R.A. James P.D. Lee C.A. Inherited bleeding disorders in women. Chapter 7. John Wiley & Sons, 2019 Jan 29
- Pregnancy outcome in Factor XI deficiency: incidence of miscarriage, antenatal and postnatal haemorrhage in 33 women with Factor XI deficiency.BJOG. 2007; 114: 643-646
- Management of inherited bleeding disorders in pregnancy. Green-Top guideline No. 71.BJOG. 2017; 124: e194-e263
- Bleeding disorders, menorrhagia and iron deficiency: impacts on health-related quality of life.Haemophilia. 2013; 19: 385-391
- Plasma replacement therapy during labor is not mandatory for women with severe factor XI deficiency.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2005; 16: 37-41
- Haemostasis in normal pregnancy.Thromb Haemostasis. 1984; 52: 176-182
Published online: March 03, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.